Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Notes: First Lesson With New Student

www.clicktolearnguitar.com

Here are the notes from my first lesson with my first student:

01-22-08

First lesson - Elizabeth
Taught - Finger numbers, string numbers, fret numbers, how to put fingers on frets, chords
Chords taught - Em, Gmaj

Time teaching - 30 minutes

Response from student - Good
Student abilities - Good
Response to click - Good

Resolution - Student decided to continue lessons

Observations:

  • I believe that teaching someone without a guitar is less threatening and intimidating. When someone is first coming into a lesson and has no experience. Why would we sit there with our guitar, playing it great and feeling good. That just puts pressure on the student. The student should be eased into playing with the teacher. So that when that time comes the student has confidence in their abilities. When the teacher has the guitar at the beginning there is pressure on the student to do as well as the teacher. If not, frustration can happen. Without the guitar the student is free to be the only one playing therefore not being compared. THERE IS LESS VISUAL PRESSURE ON THE STUDENT IF THE TEACHER DOES NOT HOLD A GUITAR OR PLAY IT.

  • Need to email student tomorrow and compliment their abilities today during the lesson. Also note what was taught, with as much information as possible. NEED TO EXPLAIN CHANGE FOR NEXT LESSON (will now be referring to high E as string one and Low E as string 6).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Learning how to play on guitar was one of my dreams since I was child. Because of being busy in my career I just forget about it for a while but still have that passion to learn. Can you please teach me? I'll buy a guitar of course but actually I don't know anything about chords or which guitar type should i buy! I liked the Spanish one but don't know if it's different or what. Can you please light up things for me?! thank you .. Ahmed