Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Video - Montage of Complete Lesson 2

www.clicktolearnguitar.com



Here is a montage of the entire 2nd lesson I had with my late student. You can read below what we did on the first lesson. She does not own a guitar and did not practice between lessons. I wanted to see what her memory retention was and so I had her do the chord exercise with the Fmaj as soon as we sat down. To my delight (as well as hers) she was able to play the chord cleanly and effortlessly all without going home to practice!!! We decided to move forward and learn more chords for the song she wanted.

We moved to the Bmaj chord which I thought would give her the same trouble as the Fmaj but it did not. She was able to easily play that chord. I then had her do some chord shape exercises to get used to moving between both those chords. Since that was going well I showed her the Dm chord. Again, she was able to play it fine so we did some chord shape exercises as well as some strumming exercises to get her used to strumming all the chords. I decided to show her the last chord, Cmaj, to finish all the chords she needed to know for the song. She was once again able to play that fine along with the chord shape exercises. I decided to go ahead and start getting her started with alternate strum patterns. At first I had her play a downstroke then an upstroke. Each successful stroke got a TAG. Then I turned a metronome on and had her naturally just play an alternate strum pattern to see where her rhythm was at. It was fine. I decided to go ahead and have her start playing with the metronome.

First I had her just hold the chord and vocally call out each beat. She would call out 8 beats then have 8 beats to get to the next chord, then call out 8 beats, then have 8 beats to get to the next chord. I then had her strum the beats with the rest between each chord to have time to move to it. When she was proficient at this I lessened the time to 4 beats. When that was proficient I challenged her to just 2 beats. At first it was difficult but she immediately started over and was able to do it!!!

No comments: